Who is involved?Our list of project partners is growing rapidly and encompasses businesses, schools, charities and community groups across the Island.
The Manx NFU works to create a strong agricultural economy on the Isle of Man for our members and to provide a reliable, sustainable and secure food supply for the Manx people. We represent farmers from the majority of farm businesses on the Island.
It is intriguing how sites in Germany and Switzerland used the UNESCO Biosphere accolade to help their local food and tourism sectors - we hope the same will apply to the Isle of Man.
Groudle fulfils the Biosphere IOM Pledge by:
• protect our natural resources: Groudle Glen Limited look after a large section of Groudle Glen. Part of Groudle Glen is privately owned but a licenced foot path agreement allows the public to use the pathways that connect to the upper glen (in public ownership) and to access Groudle Railway.
• develop our economy in a sustainable way: ongoing. Active in advising our guests about the island and things to do when they are visiting the Isle of Man.
• support and promote our cultural heritage: We have worked with local artists in developing the “Art in the Glen Project” which to date has seen the Groudle Wizard appear! This is the first piece in a planned “art trail” around the glen. It is a seven foot high wooden wizard carved by local artist Nick Barlow.
• make our environmental impact positive wherever possible: working towards making Groudle Cottages more “green”. Support Beach Buddies.
• engage with the local community: allowing access to Groudle Glen, supporting Groudle Railway on our land and working with local sports organisations in using the glen and cliffs. Supporting local charities.
• promote our outstanding living landscape and seascape through active involvement with Biosphere Isle of Man: ongoing.
Microgaming PlayItForward is a community-driven initiative that focuses on the social pillars of health, charity, sport and education.
Launched in 2014 by world-leading software company, Microgaming, the Isle of Man based project aims to change the game for place and people.
DDP and Douglas Town Centre Management have suppported economic regeneration and community involvement in many ways, for example;
• Douglas Town Centre Regeneration; The Development Partnership co-ordinated the initial design concept stage. This involved analysing local materials, culture and heritage in order to develop a design language that recognises Douglas as the island’s capital. Of particular note is the “Colours of Mann” project, which collated three palettes of colours from the land, sea and sky around Douglas to be used within the project to ensure that the urban environment reflects the natural colours around it.
• Douglas Cycle Study; This is a project undertaken on our behalf by a STEP student to assess the cycle friendliness of Douglas and propose ways of encouraging increased use of cycling as a means of transport.
• In 2014 were very pleased to welcome the Isle of Man Farmers’ Market to hold regular markets in the town centre to assist shoppers to purchase local produce. In a similar vein the Isle of Man Craft Guild also now hold fortnightly craft fairs in the town centre selling locally crafted goods.
• The Partnership’s event programme aims to reflect important dates in the Manx Calendar such as Hop-tu-Naa, where participants can carve turnip lanterns and learn and local traditions.
• The Tower of Refuge Walk has become an annual event that takes place on one of the lowest spring tides, when participants can walk out safely to the Tower of Refuge. In addition to responding to the seasonal rhythm of the tides, the event raises money for the RNLI, which was first established in Douglas and celebrates its founder Sir Willliam Hillary who masterminded the construction of the tower.
DotPerformance is a digital agency here to help Isle of Man businesses and organisations expand their operations into new markets and increase their operational efficiencies using a digital/Internet first approach. Experts in the production of digital marketing campaigns, websites and web applications, DotPerformance helped to produce the digital presence of the UNESCO Biosphere Isle of Man project.
Notable projects include bespoke web applications for smart metering and software to run the first 100% solar powered country in the world, in this case New Zealand!
Our Creamery is at the very heart of the Isle of Man community. We are a co-operative of family owned dairy farms, whose farm-assured herds supply the purest milk – farm fresh.
All milk travels less than 15 miles from farm to Creamery - low food miles guaranteed.
The experienced cheese makers at the Creamery only use locally sourced milk to make our Award-Winning range of cheeses, which reflect the traditional skills and long culinary heritage of our enchanting island.
Manx Telecom is an important telecom business in the island, find out more at their website.
PDMS, a software development company based in the Isle of Man, has been developing business systems for over 20 years and has Global House delivered hundreds of successful projects, usually web based business systems, for a wide range of clients in the public and private sector and has grown from 2 to approaching 60 staff.
PDMS are proud to hold the ISO 9001 quality, the ISO 27001 security and the 14001 environmental certifications with Lloyds Registered Quality Assurance.
ISO QA IOM is the first ISO accreditation service to be based on the Isle of Man. Able to offer Management System implementation, auditing and management, covering Quality Management Systems, Environmental Management, Energy Management, Information Security. Very often the savings can help the business not just to save money but to grow their business.
Luminaires are a leading lighting designer and supplier, active in the Isle of Man and the UK. Have developed many innovative, every energy efficient lighting schemes. Are also involved with recycling used fluorescent lighting, a closed loop recycling system to make sure any Mercury is safely recovered.
Sign up to the UNESCO Biosphere ISLE OF MAN pledge
UNESCO Biosphere Isle of Man is open to everyone. You are welcome to be involved, providing you support the principles outlined in The Biosphere Isle of Man Pledge. This is the pledge that our partners have signed up to. Encapsulating the aims of the project, this is the Pledge that all our partners sign up to.
If you are interested in being involved as a business, you’ll find more information about the benefits of being a partner and how it all works in the Project Partners Guidelines for Businesses and also for Schools, Community Groups and Charities.
To apply to become a Partner and Supporter of UBIOM, please fill in this application form, and help us to tell others what you are so proud of, and keep us updated about how you will get even better.